Thursday, August 21, 2008

Papua New Guinea

The Sing Sing Dance Troupe, traditional tribal Papua New Guinea dancers, visited USNS Mercy on 15 August 2008 and performed on the flight deck.


Shell takes a look at Port Moresby from the weather deck of USNS Mercy (GPS S 9 28.0667, E 147 7.9892) on a somewhat hazy day.


Here's a closer view of downtown Port Moresby that we got a few days ago when we had the chance to visit the pier for about 45 minutes.


Sideflare 64, one of USNS Mercy's two helicopters, has just lifted off from the flight deck, with Port Moresby, the capital of Papua New Guinea, in the background.


The sun sets behind the hills to the west of Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea. The wind seems to always be blowing these clouds either toward the east or toward the west.



Here are two photos of me with Port Moresby in the background. I'm not sure which one is clearest, so I'm sending both. The wind was blowing 20 or 30 mph both days. In fact, the day I wore the striped shirt, the wind started blowing the camera off of its shelf, so I have a great close up of just my shirt as I grabbed the camera.



Many of the days here in Port Moresby have been windy, as can be seen in this photo of one of the Band-Aid boats returning to USNS Mercy; notice how the boat is bouncing up and down in the waves.

No comments: